Sunday, March 3, 2019

Hearing the Quiet - Taking a Break from Facebook

I know, I know, lots of people do it.
And, it's not as if this is some profound statement/action that should be recognized as such.
I have, also, completed my first week of my six week exercise challenge -
   20 minutes of power walking, and at least 20 push-ups a day for 6 days, each week,
which is way more impressive than refraining from wasting away hours on a social network site. 

Anxiety is what led me to do it.

I did not realize how much Facebook was contributing to my anxiety, until I left it.
It has only been a week, and my brain feels so much more. . . quiet. 
And, when I have a thought worth sharing, I share it with my husband,
or with other tangibles in my life, instead of throwing it out there and seeing where it sticks.

The thing is, I always felt like I had a healthy relationship with Facebook.

For me, it was mostly a creative outlet -
   a place where I could post my daily photos, and random thoughts about life.
I tried to keep it light and fun, though I would occasionally slip up and let my emotions,
my personal, or my political beliefs get the best of me, which I would usually regret.
For the most part, though, if I enjoyed something, or if I saw humor, or beauty,
   if something made me think, or if I saw irony, or if I learned something,
or if there was something I was proud of, I would share it.

I enjoyed others who used Facebook in the same way. 

But, I increasingly saw lots of posts that made me feel much like I was reading through
   my old high school year book. I did not enjoy high school.
There were parts of it, and people whom I enjoyed, but in general, high school made me anxious.
I spent most of my teenage years in it, and yet, very little of it seemed REAL.
Much like how I started to feel about Facebook. 

I am under no illusions.

I have only been away for a short time, and though I am in no hurry,
   I know I will eventually return. Good, bad, or otherwise,
Facebook is the place where people communicate important information and events.
I missed one notification, already. Good thing I know people who are still on Facebook,
   with whom my only communication isn't through Facebook.

If I were on Facebook, today, I would probably post a photo, or a video
of the snow that is gently falling. It is a lazy, Sunday afternoon; even the dogs are napping.
I am doing some writing,
   everything is still, and. . . quiet







No comments:

Post a Comment