Friday, September 16, 2011

Fall

Fall.

That's exactly what happens every damn year.   
I stroll through the summer months of July and August feeling happy and content,
until .....................
BAM!  

OUCH!   

I stumble into something unrecognizable and "fall" on my ass,
     feeling so stunned (as I sit there on the hard pavement),
that I can't get up. 

So, I just sit there.

Stunned.

Until, I realize it was the flipping of the (or just plain "flipping") calendar that hit me so hard.

The word AUGUST has been replaced with S-E-P-T-E-M-B-E-R.  

Ugh. 

As a friend of mine recently mentioned on Facebook,
     it's like being forced to give up summer COLD TURKEY.

Like a roller coaster that goes from 0 to 90 in a split second,
     school begins without even giving you a chance to tie your shoes.

In the first week of school, alone, there were 3 Back-to-school nights
     and 1 Senior/Parent college night.   


Followed by soccer practice ( 4 times a week ), soccer games, tutors, driving school,
hockey lessons, allergy shots, carpools, haircuts, school pictures,
orthodontist appointments . . . . . .

Not to mention the "Mom, I need a ride here," or, "Mom, I forgot my ............"

My plan this "Fall" is to go back to school and work.
I am still trying to figure out how to do that.
I know, at some point, I just have to jump right in.
There are plenty of parents out there who juggle it all.
But, I am not a "jump right in" kind of girl.
I like to feel the waters first - the temperature, the rate at which it is moving, the depth . . . . . .  the mood.


Last night, David Letterman had a guest on his show who falls all the time.
He started out with skydiving and free falling from buildings,
but he is most famous for his "flying squirrel" suit that enables him to "glide" through the sky
at speeds of over 100 miles per hour.  

CRAZY.  

I have no interest in jumping off buildings, or flying through the air in a rubber squirrel suit,
     but maybe I should take up skydiving.

Every year, on the last day of August.

Maybe it would help me transition into Fall.

After all, what's the worst that could happen?  

My parachute won't work ? ? ?
   


    
 


No comments:

Post a Comment