Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Valentine Appreciation Month"

Yesterday afternoon, I stopped by the store to pick up a few items for dinner.

Why is it so crowded?

Then, I noticed.

I noticed the beautiful and enticing display of long stem strawberries.
I noticed the fancy, chocolate filled boxes, tied up with strings.
I noticed a large crowd, frantically hovered around the greeting card aisle.
I noticed a suspicious number of dazed and confused looking men. Carrying flowers.  

I have nothing against Valentine's Day.

I think it's GREAT for preschoolers.

I think it's GREAT for teenagers who have a crush,
     or are experiencing their first "love".

I think it's GREAT for couples who enjoy going out to dinner
     on a night when the restaurants are over-crowded and over-priced.

Personally, however, I resent feeling pressured into
     showing my affections on a specific day.

That being said, I AM a romantic, and I don't want to be a complete HUMBUG.
   
So (I thought),

How do we make Valentine's Day more pleasurable?

Then, it came to me.

Chinese New Year lasts for 15 days.

Mardi Gras lasts (depending on who you ask) between 3 days to several weeks.

Why not EXTEND Valentine's Day?

Make the entire month of February . . .
                
                     VALENTINE APPRECIATION MONTH.   

One could have the entire month to 
     buy a card, 
purchase flowers, 
     make dinner reservations,
find someone to BE your Valentine,
and it would be a "win-win" situation for everyone -
                 the merchants, the restaurant owners, and the proprietors.

The down side would be an entire month of Hallmark and Kay Jewelers commercials.

Hope you are well stocked on tissues.    














No comments:

Post a Comment