Saturday, August 6, 2011

Another Day, Another Farmers Market

 
Today, we visited the local farmers market of Fairfax City.


I normally try to search out organic vegetables,
     and there was just one organic vegetable stand.

That's where we met Martha.

Martha was the spitting image of Sandra Bullock.  

Aside from her looks, we were immediately drawn in by her charm and personality.

She told us all about her farm in Paris, Va, and we talked recipes for fried green tomatoes.
    
     "You have to come out for a visit!" she said.

And we will.

We bought tomatoes (red and green),
     cucumbers, and peppers ( she threw those in for free ).

Not to mention, the complimentary oatmeal raisin cookies,
     made with all organic ingredients, and they were QUITE good.  

Next to Martha,
     was a very nice man selling delicious honey mint dressing.

He only had five bottles left.

We bought two.  
 

In search of corn, we found a stand that had a small assortment.   

     "How many do you want?" asked a voice, from behind.
  
     "Only about six," I responded.

     "You can have the entire bunch for three dollars," he said.

It was almost 1:00 - near closing time.  

         "We'll take it!"  I said. 

We, also, bought some juicy yellow plums (yes, yellow),  
     and two succulent white nectarines (yes, succulent),
which we snacked on during our walk back to the car.

As we walked, I thought to myself . . . . . .
       maybe a few years from now, I'll have my own organic garden in the backyard,
and I'll set up my own little tent at the market, and sell my produce.   

Maybe . . .  

For dinner tonight,  we had warm, crusty rolls with sliced fresh mozzarella,
     farm grown red, organic tomatoes,
and basil (picked from our basil plant).

Oh, and corn.  

Two down, thirteen (or so) to go. 

I have a feeling I will be dropping some off at friends' houses tomorrow.   

Don't be surprised if you find a few ears of corn at your door,
      along with your morning paper.   

















No comments:

Post a Comment