Monday, March 28, 2011

Twinkies

I volunteered at my son's school, today, to discuss the book "Bridge to Terabithia"
     (specifically, the topic of "bullying") with a group of sixth graders. 
To add to the experience, I brought along a snack, directly related to the book.

EVERY kid likes TWINKIES, I thought.  

To my surprise, three out of the six students in my group had
     NEVER TRIED A TWINKIE!

Suddenly, as I passed around the
"sugary sweet, cream filled, loaded with preservatives, sponge cakes" to the group,
     I felt a little bit guilty.

This could be the beginning of a life-long relationship with Twinkies, I thought.   

SO, the OPPOSITE of what First Lady, Michelle Obama would do.  

IT WAS TOO LATE, THOUGH.

They peeled the wrappers off, and dove right in; sinking their teeth into the soft, Twinkie goodness.

      "So, what do you think of Twinkies?  Good?"  I asked the group.

With mouths full, eyes rolling backwards, and heads nodding up and down,
     it was a definite, non-verbal, unanimous,

     "YES!"

Maybe they won't tell their parents, I thought.

After handing out three more, I had one, lone Twinkie left.

I eyed the Twinkie, thinking to myself,

     I haven't had one of those in YEARS.  One little Twinkie won't hurt.

I peeled back the wrapper, and sank my teeth into the soft, Twinkie goodness.

     "Yum," I said.

Just as good as I remembered.

I TOTALLY understand why the character in "Bridge to Terabithea"
     was so upset when that bully took her Twinkie!



 












 

   




 




No comments:

Post a Comment