Friday, September 17, 2010

Missing "Back to School Night"

My name is Leslie, and I missed two Back to School Nights this week.

There.

 I said it.

(sigh of relief)

That may sound silly to you, but there is this notion (as a mom), that if you do not attend every one of your child's school functions...................you are a bad parent.   

Do I feel that way about myself? 

Absolutely not, but it has taken me some time to get to that point where I can say,
              
                     "It's ok.  I'm doing the best that I can.  It's ok."

Besides, if I were to tally up all of the Back to School Nights (including preschool)  that I have attended over the last thirteen years,  I think my record would speak for itself. 

That being said, I don't think my kids are going to look back on their childhood and say,

     "I remember that mom went to every school function there ever was." 

At the same time, I don't think they will remember the ones that I missed.  

As it turns out, I missed the first one because of a conflicting appointment, and I knew that I would have ample opportunities to meet my child's teacher, in the near future.   

I missed the second one because, due to the unfolding of events during that week, I felt that my presence was much more valued sitting across the dinner table from my sixteen year old daughter, than it would have been meeting her teachers at Back to School night. 

I learned more about her during our dinner conversation, than I would have, sitting in a classroom full of parents.

She and I BOTH needed that time.   

Hopefully, my kids will remember times like these, for more important than attending school functions, is being present for your children.........................when they need you. 

My name is Leslie, and I missed two Back to School nights this week....................

but I had the most wonderful dinner with my daughter.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment