Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

It was not until midweek that I realized Mother's Day was coming up the following Sunday.  

     "Can't we just skip Mother's Day this year?"  I asked my daughter.

It had been a very busy and stressful couple of weeks and,
     to be honest with you ( I am going to let you in on a little secret ) -

I am not a big fan of "Mother's Day". 

THERE. 

I SAID IT. 

NOT because I don't love my mom . . . . . .  because I DO.

NOT because I don't love my kids . . . . . . because I DO.

I think it's because I feel that EVERY day is "Mother's Day", essentially,
     and there are good days and bad ones.   

So, what are the chances that May 8th is going to be a GOOD "Mother's Day",
     just because it is given a title on the calendar?   

On the contrary, the expectations are liable to be so high,
      that it would be nearly impossible for them to be met. 

I always try very hard to NOT have expectations on Mother's Day. 

I try to pretend that it is just another day,
     ignoring all of the sappy greeting cards and hallmark commercials.

Me:  "I can't HEAR you.  La la la la la la la!"   

Reading this, I suppose one might think that I am a cynic.   

One would be wrong. 

I am actually quite brilliant.   

You see, I think that moms should be able to choose when to celebrate
     their own "Mother's Day".

Wait until that day when the kids give you a
     spontaneous hug or thank you for cooking dinner that night (alleluia chorus).   

Wait until that day when the kids are all getting along (angels singing from above).

Wait until that day when the kids help out around the house
     WITHOUT BEING ASKED (angels singing the alleluia chorus from above).   

When all of those things happen in the same day . . . . . .

THAT is the day when you declare: 

 HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ME ! ! ! 


And, for any of you who experience that type of behavior on a daily basis? 

Me:  "I can't HEAR you.  La la la la la la la!" 


Beautiful flowers from my kids. Thank you!


























 








No comments:

Post a Comment