Wednesday, April 27, 2011

When A Typo May Not Be A Typo

A friend who read my previous blog, "April 25, 2011"
     pointed out a typo on the very last line.

Instead of saying,

     " . . . . . . and POUR myself a stiff drink",


I wrote,

     " . . . . . . and POOR myself a stiff drink."

Considering the subject matter and my state of mind (at the time),
     when I looked to discover that indeed, I had spelled it that way

. . . . . . . I laughed.

I LAUGHED and laughed.   

Spelling has always been one of my strong suits, and I take great pride in that fact. 
That's not to say that I have not had a spelling error (or two) over the years
     - I am human, after all.  

In this particular instance, however,  
     I am left wondering if subconsciously I intended to spell POOR, instead of POUR.

Either way, I think the double meaning is perfectly fitting and appropriate,
     and will leave it as it is.   

I have a feeling that most of you will agree with my assessment. 

Now, for that "spell check". 

Suddenly, I am feeling a bit insecure. 



1 comment:

  1. To ease your insecurity, I will tell you about my great tragedy of 3rd grade. I was in the auditorium, in the spelling bee finals, and I got on the stage and spoke into the mic. I spelled "aquarium" wrong. Just goes to show that a misspelling will stay with you the rest of your life. Even now, when I get down, I cheer myself up by reminding myself that I can now spell "aquarium."

    ReplyDelete