Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dinner and a Movie.............and a Trip to Indonesia

This past Friday night, my very close, very special Dutch friend took me out for a wonderful Indonesian meal.  He is half Indonesian, but with his steel blue eyes, carried by his large 6'2" frame, you would not know it to look at him.

Indonesian food is comfort food to him, and he has shared it with me enough times now, that it has become MY comfort food, as well.

In fact, on this chilly October night, after a downer of a week, Indonesian food was MY choice, and he was was happy to come along.

For those of you who have never had Indonesian food, we are talking succulent meats -
either satay on a stick, or stewed in hearty sauces
such as peanut, curry, or sweet soy,
along with perfectly cooked sauteed vegetables, such as beans and  potatoes,
stewed in the same heavenly sauces.  
Hard boiled eggs, like you have never eaten,
seafood - fish, shrimp, clams, and such,
and for the vegetarian, the best tofu I have ever had. 

My friend likes a side of pickled vegetables - cucumber, carrots, cauliflower. 

I was never a fan of pickled vegetables before, but these are the perfect combination of sweet and sour and "crunch", as well as the perfect accompaniment to the spicy sauces, providing a balance to my taste buds.

Oh, the flavors, the textures, the combinations - all surrounding a bed of perfectly cooked, perfectly comforting hot, steamed rice.

Yes, I used the word "perfect" a lot, and that is why Indonesian food is my favorite comfort food, as well.

After dinner, by sheer coincidence, we saw the movie, "Eat, Pray, Love".  I had read the book, long ago, and it was showing at the nearby low budget theatre.

As many of you already know, Indonesia is the setting for a good part of the film.

After eating the wonderfully flavorful, pleasing to the palate - Indonesian meal,
then visiting the picturesque countryside on the big screen - taking in all of its visual glory,
                           
I was ready to pack my bags and buy a ticket.  

"Want to go to Indonesia?" my friend asked, at the end of the evening.

"I'm already there!" was my response.      




          

No comments:

Post a Comment